In response to a significant surge in Tuberculosis (TB) cases, Kenya has launched the TB Strategic Plan 2023-2028.

Speaking at Afya House when she presided over the launch, Principal Secretary State Department for Public Health and Professional Standards Mary Muthoni said that the   plan aims to address the crisis by incorporating a community-centered Universal Health Coverage initiative.

“This involves deployment of   Community Health Promoters for grassroots TB detection. “Said the PS.

She noted that the plan is people-centered and emphasizes a bottom-up strategy, acknowledging challenges and proposing practical interventions.

The 2023-2028 national strategic plan is a renewed push by the East African nation to accelerate momentum toward the achievement of the global goal of ending TB by 2030.

Kenya recorded 90,841 TB cases in 2022, up from the 77,854 cases reported in 2021, Muriuki said, adding that the figure represents 68 percent of the estimated 133,000 TB cases that were likely to emerge that year, leaving 32 percent undiagnosed and untreated.

 PS Muthoni was optimistic that the plan will serve as a vital advocacy tool for mobilizing resources across sectors.

The PS also acknowledged the support of partners in the fight against TB including the World Health Organization, USAID and Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) among others and called for a renewed commitment to ending TB and building a healthier nation.